If your eyes are the windows to your soul, you better get cracking with the eye cream. Interestingly though not all of us use an eye cream, some feel that its just a marketing ploy to make a person spend more money, while others just don’t see the point of an extra step in their already packed skin care routine. So the question to ask is, do we really need to use eye cream?
The answer is yes. Even though the skin around the eye area is still skin, it is much thinner and much more sensitive and delicate than the skin on the rest of our face. While eye creams may be formulated with some of the same active ingredients as our moisturiser, they are still made with lower doses or aren’t as potent. The reason is that the thin skin around the eyes absorbs better than the thicker skin on other areas of the face, and overdoing it in this area with something too strong can cause irritation. The main goal of an eye cream, is to deliver the same ingredients you would use on the other parts of the face but at a dose that is gentle enough to not trigger an irritation.
So we shortlisted and tried a number of eye creams and eye serums that people out there were raving about, and out of a kazillion eye creams in the market, these seven products made the list:
- If you want lush lashes: If your lashes are looking rather sparse, you just have to get yourself a bottle of Jyunka Ageless Eye $142. This eye cream is lightweight and absorbs instantly, leaves no greasy residue and is perfume-free, making it perfect for those of you with sensitive skin, but what has us hooked, was the fact that it made our lashes grow long and lush after using it for just a week (watch our Tried & Tested video review here). So toss out those falsies and grab yourself a bottle of Jyunka Ageless Eye instead!
- If you need a boost of vitality: If you eye area is looking dull and lack-lustre, give it a shot of energy with Bellewave’s Visionergy ATP Cell Activating Serum, $108. Adenosine triphosphate or ATP is the main energy source for cellular functions in our body and this serum literally propels a shot of ATP deep into the eye contours, enabling the delicate skin to thrive, regenerate and renew itself. Eye contours are deeply revitalised, brightened and lifted.
- If you are in the market for an overall eye cream: If you just want an eye cream that will moisturise and protect your delicate eye area, or are new to eye creams, you might want to start with a bottle of SOTHYS Multi-action eye contour, $134. With its fine, delicate texture, this lightweight opthalmologically tested cream helps to diminish the appearance of wrinkles, dark circles and puffiness and can be used by contact lens wearers and those with sensitive eyes.
- If your puffy eyes make you look like you cried all night: Looking like you spent the night bawling into your pillow isn’t going to do much for your looks not to mention your love life, so if your puffy eyes are ruining your social life, you need the SOTHYS Anti-Puffiness/Energising Roll-On, $105.This opthalmologically tested super handy roll-on leaves a thin layer of gel on the eye contour area to instantly reduce puffiness. Its even safe to use for those with sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers, and you should see an improvement within an hour of application.
- If you look perpetually exhausted: If you look like you haven’t slept in a week, you definitely need to grab the LIERAC DIOPTIFATIGUE Fatigue Correction Re-Energizing Gel-Cream, $40. This unscented, ophthalmologically tested gel eye cream is formulated around the aesthetic technique of mesotherapy and works against the three signs of fatigue: puffy eyes, crumpled features and dark circles. Formulated with a unique blend of active ingredients, this cooling gel-cream leaves skin smoother, decongested and brighter.
- If you have droopy eye lids: If your lids droop, causing you to look tired and making drawing on a symmetrical cat-eye near impossible, you are going to absolutely love the LIERAC LIFT INTEGRAL Eye Lift Serum Eyes and Lids, $85. This gel-like serum forms an invisible film on the skin that firms and tones the outer eye area, softens the appearance of wrinkles caused by skin slackening, reduces the appearance of dark circles and puffiness and open up the eyes, leaving them looking brighter and more youthful.
- If you need some hydrating and nourishing action: If your eye area is very dry and needs some firming, tightening and TLC, grab yourself a tub of Maria Galland Enriched Eye Cream 93, $176.55. This rich cream absorbs completely and deeply nourishes, regenerates and firms the eye area. This is perfect if you are more mature or simply have very dry skin around the eye area.