Alexandr&Co. is a Singapore-born luxury skincare range made in Japan. Founded by doctors here in Singapore, who studied the clinical applications of silkworm sericin (a glue-like protein that sheaths the outer layer of silk threads) in the context of skin healing and repair.
Silk sericin which is naturally derived, is strongly biocompatible with human skin – making it an ideal skin- friendly active ingredient. In its natural state, sericin binds strongly to silk threads (known as fibroin) which coincidentally have very similar molecular structures to keratin, the natural structural protein found abundantly in human skin.
Silk, prized by Asian royalty as a symbol of power and a hallmark of nobility, was first discovered almost 5,000 years ago in ancient China by Empress Leizu, the wife of the Yellow Emperor, while she played with silk cocoons in her courtyard. This discovery changed the course of history and gave birth to the Silk Road which still stands to this very day. Alexandr&Co. pays homage to this discovery by showing the world silk’s miraculous properties beyond fashion and fabric.
Sericin is a skin superfood and have been found to have the following effects on human skin:
- Anti-Inflammatory effect – by significantly lowering the amount of inflammatory molecules produced naturally in skin
- Pro-Circulatory effect – by increasing blood flow through tissues
- Anti-Scarring effect – by regulating Transforming Growth Factors
- Rapid-Healing effect – by recruiting Mesenchymal Stem Cells to sites of injured or damaged skin
- Anti-Wrinkle effect – by increasing skin’s natural levels of collagen
- UV-Solar-Protection effect – by being a natural guard against ultraviolet radiation
- Strong hydrating effect – by mimicking NMF (Natural Moisturizing Factor) and forming a skin barrier that reduces TEWL (Trans-Epidermal Water Loss)
Silk sericin is however very difficult to manufacture at high concentrations due to its high viscosity, low solubility and natural odour. These technical challenges led Alexandr&Co.’s founding team of doctors on a five year research and development mission, to bring the highest quality silk sericin in the highest possible concentration known to exist within a skincare product.
Alexandr&Co. may be purchased in-store at OG Orchard, or online. Prices range from $94 – $269. If you would like to try the product, you can enjoy 15% off your online purchases using this code during checkout: YD1N2KFQTMQ3