World Animal Day is observed every year on October 4th in an effort to raise awareness about improving the welfare standards of the animals across the globe. The first World Animal Day took place on March 24, 1925, in the Sport Palace in Berlin, Germany. More than 5,000 people attended the first event which was founded by writer and animal activist Heinrich Zimmermann, author of Mensch und Hund.
Celebrated internationally on 4 October, this year World Animal Day seeks to raise awareness for animal welfare and protection with Shopee, from 20 September to 4 October.
In partnership with nine Animal Welfare Groups (AWGs), Shopee introduces the Pledge & Protect initiative to encourage donations through its platform. $5 no minimum spend thank you vouchers (valid for pet related purchases) and exclusive pet brand vouchers will be offered to Shopee users who donate a minimum of $5 to the AWG partners through Shopee. The list of partners are:
- Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Action For Singapore Dogs
- Cat Welfare Society
- Causes for Animals Singapore
- Save our Street Dogs
- Oasis Second Chance Animal Shelter
- Purely Adoptions
- House Rabbit Society Singapore
Looking to find out more about these AWGs? Hear their stories and learn more about the causes they support on Shopee’s World Animal Day site.
Shopee will also be hosting a World Animal Day Giveaway for you and your furry companion! 30 lucky winners will walk away with entry tickets (for one furkid and two human guests) worth $30 to Singapore’s largest dog water park, Wag & Wild. Any amount donated to the participating AWGs via Shopee will earn users a chance to win, while donating $20 and above will earn users double the chances. To qualify, users will have to register on Shopee’s World Animal Day site from 20 – 21 September.
Keen to further champion the World Animal Day cause? Shopee is also working with brands with initiatives in place to support animal welfare, such as:
- Addiction Pet Foods – For every single-receipt purchase of Addiction or Wishbone products, they will donate one Addiction Meaty Bites 12oz to the Save our Street Dogs animal shelter
- Yappy Pets – 50% of sales from every purchase of Earthmade 250g packs will go to Purely Adoptions
- Pawtner – Singapore’s first algorithm-driven mobile app designed to help shelters automate pet adoption and pet care services at no cost. In collaboration with Shopee, an exclusive voucher kit worth $100 will be given for every successful adoption with partner shelters onboard Pawtner.
No amount and no effort is too small, so please do your part to make Singapore a kinder and happier place for our furry and non-furry friends by donating and sharing this article so more people can help!