Having to wear a mask every day for countless hours combined with stress and the #newnormal we have all been forced into, can play havoc on our skin.
Furthermore, with the threat of COVID-19 looming over our shoulder like a micromanaging boss from hell, some of us don’t feel comfortable going for our monthly facial treatments, so what can we do to keep our skin healthy during this trying time?
Here are five simple DIY face mask recipes that not only work, but are so easy, literally anyone can make them.
The Turmeric Brightening Mask
Less is more with this anti-inflammatory and brightening honey and turmeric mask. Just remember to avoid leaving this on overnight, as turmeric stains, something that I learnt the hard way. This mask can be used two to three times per week.
- Mix one teaspoon of turmeric and one tablespoon of honey to make a smooth yellow paste.
- Apply the mask mixture to your clean, dry face and leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water then seal in the goodness with a gentle moisturiser.
The Moisturizing Avocado Mask
Calm inflammation and hydrate the skin for a clear and glowing complexion with this soothing three-ingredient avocado mask.
- Mash one-quarter of a ripe avocado in a small bowl.
- Add in one tablespoon of rolled oats and one tablespoon of Manuka or raw honey. Mash and mix well.
- Apply the mask to your clean, dry face for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water before following up with a moisturizer.
Nourishing Honey Mask
Honey is a natural antibacterial, which makes it a perfect base for acne-fighting masks. Nutritional yeast is also excellent for treating acne, as it’s rich in B-vitamins that help calm the skin barrier.
- Brew one cup of chamomile tea with two tea bags and let cool completely.
- Stir together one tablespoon of Manuka or raw honey, and one teaspoon of nutritional yeast in a small bowl.
- Add just enough chamomile tea to the bowl to create a thicker paste that’s still runny enough to spread across your skin, but not too watery.
- Apply a thin layer to your face and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off, pat dry and moisturise.
Banana Face Mask
This face mask will give your skin such a healthy, natural-looking glow, and is also gentle enough for all skin types.
- Mash one-half of a banana in a bowl
- Mix in a tablespoon of orange juice and a tablespoon of honey
- Apply the mask to your clean, washed and dried face and keep the mixture on for 15 minutes. Be sure to avoid your eye area
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and then moisturise
Buttermilk Hydration Mask
This mask is enriched with lactic acid, which is ideal for solving a host of skin-related issues from discolouration, spots, blemishes to uneven skin tone.
- Mix 1/2 cup of buttermilk in with two tablespoons of yogurt.
- Apply on to your freshly washed face, be sure to avoid the eye area
- Leave it on your face for a few hours and then wash off with water for a glow like no other