Experiences are minimalist – they don’t have to be stored, or create waste, or even cost money. Shared experiences have the additional benefit of connecting us with others. So, what better day to share a happy experience with a loved one than Valentine’s Day?
Below is a list of unique experience gifts for Valentine’s Day. Ranging from simple to grand, free to extravagant, you’ll find the perfect idea to celebrate your love.
Go Some Place
1. Recreate your honeymoon or first date. Bring back the memories of the beginning of your love by recreating a memorable experience from your past.
2. Spend the night at a hotel. It can be exciting and liberating to be out of your house and comfort zone (even if it’s just for the night). Pack your bag but leave your worries at home.
3. Take a train ride to another city nearby. Why not rent a cute little holiday home and spend an entire day wandering around, having lunch at a little cafe in town and sitting by the fire at night.
4. Get outside in the fresh air. Turn off your phones, set an out-of-office reply on your email and go skiing, hiking, sailing, whatever you’re into.
5. Go to the movies or the theatre. See the latest play or flick with your loved one. Better yet, find a movie theatre that serves food, directly to your seats.
6. Plan a romantic getaway. Go to your favorite city or a completely new place. Wherever you go, remember you are there to enjoy each other and make memories.
7. Have a spa day. Go to a spa together or create a spa day at home. Purchase some lovely oils and scrubs, put your feet up, and enjoy some chocolates – it’s your day!
Make Or Learn Something
8 Create your own special fragrance. Out of all the senses, fragrance is the one that’s most closely linked to memory. But instead of unwrapping a chemical-laden fragrance stamped with the name of a celebrity or fashion designer on Valentine’s Day, how about attending a perfumery workshop and creating a custom botanical scent.
9. Learn meditation together. Take a class or join a group meditation event and then encourage the practice in each other all year round.
10. Make terrariums. Recreate (in terrarium form!) a scene from a place you love, a place you’ve travelled to, or a special memory.
11. Make your own candles. Conventional candles are pretty toxic and pollute your home. Follow this easy recipe to make your own candles and put them in a jar you already own.
12. Take a class together. It would be really fun to take a class as a couple – like learning pottery or sculpture together.
13. Learn a new language. Take a language class together and at the end reward yourselves with a trip to a country that speaks the language. Italian anyone?
Do An Activity
14. Watch old romantic movies. Stream classics like Casablanca and Roman Holiday or timeless favorites like Say Anything and The Bodyguard.
15. Take over each other’s Instagram accounts and create photographic love notes. Show the world your love and create a record of it via social media. It is 2019 after all.
16. Schedule a photo shoot with a local photographer. Spring for professional photos with either an intimate indoor shoot or bopping around notable places from your life together (your favourite park bench, the place you met, etc.)
17. Make a fort. Build a fort in your living room and lighten up the space with candles and watch a movie to make the night more romantic. Tapping into our inner child should be a requirement on a weekly basis.
18. Stay in bed all day. Need we say more?